4/09/2010

Scripts Lesson 08

ETJShow Ending a conversation (extra work).

Script:
On today’s show, we’re going to learn how to smoothly finish or end an informal conversation. We can also call this “wrapping up the conversation” or a conclusion. Some examples:


• Sorry, but I’ve got to go. It was good to see you. See you next Monday.
• It was nice talking to you. See you on Friday.
• Well, it was great to talk with you. See you later.
• It’s getting late and I should go. It was great to see you again. Good luck with your new job.
• Hey, I’m really glad I ran into you. Take care of yourself.
• Sorry, but I have an appointment soon. It was really nice to meet you. Take care.

Today we’re learning about wrapping up or ending a conversation. You’ve just met someone or have run into a friend or co-worker. And you’ve already spoken for a few minutes. Now it seems like it’s time to finish the conversation.

We have three situations:
Situation Number 1: A conversation with someone you’ll probably see within the next week or two. Like a good friend or a classmate or maybe a co-worker.
• Sorry, I’ve got to run. It was good to see you. See you Monday morning.
• Sorry, but I’m in a little bit of a hurry. It was nice talking to you. See you on Friday.
Situation number 2: a conversation with someone you probably won’t see for a little while.
• Well, I’d better be going. It was great to see you again. Good luck with your new job.
• Hey, I’m really glad I ran into you. Take care of yourself. See you.
Situation number 3: a conversation with someone you just met for the first time.
• It was nice to meet you. Take care.
• Well, it was really good to meet you. Have a good afternoon. See you.

Oh, I’m so sorry, it’s time for some practice. Please repeat, repeat these sentences.
• It was good to see you. See you next Monday.
• I’ve got to get going. It was nice talking to you. See you on Friday.
• It was great to talk with you. Take care. Bye, bye.
• Sorry, but I’m in a little bit of a hurry. It was great to see you again. Good luck with your new job.
• Hey, I’m really glad I ran into you. Take care of yourself.
• Well, I should be going. It was nice to meet you. Have a good day.

Come Fly with Me. (extra work).
Transcript.

For this week’s podcast at english.com I’m talking to a man who does a lot of traveling for his job.

Jackie: Hello Chris.

Chris: Hello Jackie.

Jackie: Now, I understand that you are a flight attendant.

Chris: Yes, I work for British Airways based at Heathrow Airport in London.

Jackie: Ok, and when did you start working for them?

Chris: Oh, quite a few years ago and when I started off on small aircraft. And now I’m on big aircraft, the Boeing 747.

Jackie: And which routes do you fly on?

Chris: At the moment, I’m doing the NY flights for which I spend three days in NY and then comeback to London.

Jackie: So, what time do you usually get up in the morning then for this?

Chris: Well, I’m flying to NY tomorrow and I have to get up at 7 o’clock in the morning. Now I live 20K from Heathrow so I can have a little lie if I want to.

Jackie: What time do you have to be at the airport though?

Chris: We have to be at the airport 1 and a half hours before the flight takes off.

Jackie: Only 1 and a half hours?

Chris: Yes. We have to check in, meet other crew members and then the Chief person will talk to us about the flight and tell us how many passengers there are, any special passengers, any special food that’s going to be put on, for example, vegetarian meals and any special VIPs.

Jackie: OK, what else do you do before the passengers get on the plane?

Chris: Well, we get on one hour before departure and we have to check the catering to make sure we have the right number of meals. We then check on the medical equipment to make sure it’s correct and then we make sure the safety equipment is correct.

Jackie: But everybody has the live belt under the seat?

Chris: Well, they have the life jackets under the seat that has to be checked. We have to make sure the seat belts are checked and we have to make sure the oxygen is working.

Jackie: And do you do that before every flight?

Chris: Before every flight.

Jackie: Gosh. And then when the passengers get off the plane, what do you do then?

Chris: Oh, the most important thing to remember is to check the seats to make sure that nobody has left anything behind. You’d be surprised of what people leave. They leave duty frees, coats, MP3-players, computers.

Jackie: They leave the computer on the plane?

Chris: Yeah, because they’re in a rush to get off.

Jackie: Ha ha ha. And for listeners who are interested in becoming a flight attendant, what personality do you think people should have?

Chris: Well, the major thing is have a good smile.

Jackie: Ha ha ha.

Chris: But really you need to be interested in people, working with people from all over the world and looking after them.

Jackie: So you need to be interested in people.

Chris: Very interested in people.

Jackie: And interested in flying.

Chris: Of course. You musn’t be frightened of flying.

Jackie: Yes, OK. What do you think of…I know you do a lot of traveling, that’s very interesting, but are there any other benefits, any other good things about being a flight attendant?

Chris: Well, you get to meet lots and lots of different people, you get to know lots and lots of different countries to meet people there and you get to know some people and have friends all over the world.

Jackie: And what about drawbacks? Some of the bad things about the job

Chris: Well the hardest thing of flying is the time change. For example, there’s a five hour time change between NY and London. So you take off at 11:00 o’clock and you fly for 7 and a half hours and you arrive at 1:30.

Jackie: Right.

Chris: And that confuses people.

Jackie: It would confuse me, yes. Ha ha ha. I’m already confused. Do you recommend the job?

Chris: Yes, I do, but d you have to be very fit as well.

Jackie: Oh really?

Chris: Because you can’t go to bed at night because you’re working throughout the night. And sometimes it’s difficult when you know you get home and have to go to sleep to catch up.

Jackie: Yes. Are you looking forward to being a flight attendant on the A380?

Chris: Yes, that’d be lots…30 cabin crews as opposed to 15 cabin crew. So there’d be lots and lots of friends on board working together. That’d be nice.

Jackie: Great, Chris. Thank you very much.

Budlight Commercial (Extra Work).
Transcript.
Wife 1: Thanks for cleaning the gutters.


Husband 1: Anything for you hon…cleaning the gutters

Husband 2: Yeah, I’m realigning the satellite dish

Husband 1: Good one.

Husband 3: Hey, fixing a leak in the roof

Husband 2: Even better

Husband 3: No, I’m really fixing a leak.

Off: Refreshingly smooth Budlight…always worth it.

Husband 3; I’m good.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario