4/29/2010

Scripts Lesson 11

What not to Wear: Black and White Page 7.
Script.
Stacy: Here we are in Linn Bryant on 34th St in NYC. Black and White, huge trend this season.

Clinton: But to make interesting, play with patterns like pin-stripes or texture like crochet.
Stacy: And remember, adding a little bit of white to your black makes it much more appropriate today and much less harsh for your skin tone.
Clinton: Another big trend for Spring and Summer is embroidered…it’s really a fun way to add some visual interest to an outfit.
Stacy: But if you’re going to do it on one piece like a skirt, make sure your top is relatively simple, do a little bit of visual interest like embellishment at the neck and go for a really flattering color for your skin tone.
Clinton: When it comes to accessories this season, natural is really in…you’ll see a lot of shell embellishments raffia and crochet.
Stacy: But be careful about taking the beads to the office. A lot of these work much better with more casual looks for weekend or a casual evening out, not so good for work.


VOA Flip Flops Page 8.
Script.
Welcome to American Mosaic in VOA Special English. I’m Theive Lapidus. On our show this week, report about a popular kind of footwear. Flip flop shoes have become very popular in the US mostly among young people. Steve Endberg tells us about them. Flip Flops have a flat sole and a v-shaped strap. The strap goes between the wearer’s big toe and second toe and around either side of the foot. The name flip flop comes from the noise the shoes make while slapping against the bottom of the wearer’s foot and the ground when he or she walks. Listen to see if you recognize the sound. People in other countries have worn flip flops for many years. Today, flip flops are often made of rubber. They are popular in developing countries because of their low cost. Some flip flops only cost a dollar. They’ve recently have become very popular in the US. Many people have worn flip flops at the beach or around the house during the summer. But now you can see young women wearing flip flops just about everywhere. Some people wear simple ones made of rubber. But others wear flip flops made of leather, cloth or plastic with jewels and other materials added. Some special flip flops even cost a lot of money. Most people find flip flops pleasant to wear especially this summer when it is been very hot around the country. Some young women wear their flip flops to work instead of painful high heels. But other people think that flip flops should be worn only at the beach and not at the office. Last summer, flip flops were in the news in Washington DC. Young female athletes from Northwestern University were honored at the White House. The team had just won the National Lacrosse Championship. Several of the young women on the team wore flip flops to the White House celebration. Some people in the media criticized this. Many people thought it was not right to wear such shoes to the White House. While most of the flip flop wearers are young women, some older women wear them too. So do many young men. But other people will not wear them on city streets. They say they do not protect the foot and they do not offer enough support. Some foot doctors agree. They say flip flops have been linked to a growing number among teenagers and young adults.

Baby Toys Page 11.
Script.
OK, let's talk about the little baby. The baby's so cute. (OK, just joking) Anyway, let's talk about things that babies have.


First of all, the pacifier. OK, the pacifier is something to pacify the baby, to keep it quiet. You put the pacifier in its mouth and the baby sucks on the pacifier and it keeps it quiet. Babies like to suck and chew on the pacifier.

OK, next is the crib.The crib is where the baby sleeps. So you put the baby in the crib to sleep and the crib is usually off the ground and it has four walls so the baby cannot fall out. So that's the crib.

OK, next is the rubber ducky. I love the rubber ducky, so the rubber ducky is a little duck (quack quack quack) and you put it in the bathtub and the baby can play with it and squeeze it. It's pretty cool.

OK, next is the nipple. Now the nipple is what the baby sucks on when it gets milk, when it gets food, and the nipple for a bottle is rubber, usually yellow, and you put it on the bottle and that's how the baby drinks its milk.

OK, next stop is the stroller. So the stroller is for when the baby goes outside. So if the mother takes the baby outside, she can put the baby in the stroller and push the baby around when she goes for a walk.

OK, the last one is stuffed animal. So all babies love a stuffed animal and usually it's a little teddy bear or rabbit or something like that so it's a little animal made of cloth and it's very soft and babies like to hold it.

Extra work: Describing People's personalities.
Script.
Joan: Oh, are those pictures of your kids?
Art: Yes. These are my three daughters and these are my two sons.
Joan: Your sons look so alike. Are they similar in personality, too?
Art: It’s funny you ask that. My wife and I are always saying how different they are from one another, even though they’re the closest in age. Sergey, the younger one, is moody and a little timid, while his older brother, Dennis, is talkative and cheerful all the time.
Joan: That’s really interesting. You know, I have an older sister and we’re only a year apart, but we have very different personalities, too. When I was little, I was bad-tempered and I always fought with my brothers and sisters, while my sister was a little angel. She was always patient and generous. I really looked up to her.
Art: It’s hard for me to believe that you were ever bad-tempered. You’re so even-keeled now. Me, on the other hand, I was a selfish and stubborn kid. I’m surprised that my parents put up with me.
Joan: I’m sure you’re exaggerating. All kids are a little selfish and stubborn, I think. Good thing most of us grow out of it as we get older.
Art: Well, that may be true, but according to my wife and kids, I’m still the most stubborn person in the world. They may be right.

Extra work: Colors.
Script.
Rob:Got a question for you.
Rob: Aha?
Bob: What’s your favorite color?
Rob: Mmh, actually…well…mmmh, that’s a good question.
Bob: Not a hard…
Rob: No, it’s not.
Bob: Red, blue?
Rob: In terms of fashion, it’s different from my favorite color, OK? Uh, my favorite color is red
Bob: Oh, OK
Rob: Because I’m left wing…I like the red color.
Bob: Oh, like the communist colors.
Rob: Yeah, red is great.
Bob: OK, Rob, I didn’t mean to get that deep. I just really want to know your favorite color…ok, it’s red.
Rob: But the thing is red doesn’t look good on me, well it does, but I prefer…I don’t wear red clothes.
Bob: Ok, can I say your favorite color is red?
Rob: Sure.
Bob: My favorite color is blue.
Rob: Oh, why’s that?
Bob: I don’t know, I got blue eyes.
Rob: All right. Cool.
Bob: Blue looks good on me. But anyway, I mean, you like red, what kind of red? Crimson, Magenta, Rust, scarlet. There’s a lot of different reds.
Rob: Yeah, yeah.
Bob: You gotta be more specific Rob. So when it comes to blue, I think I like navy blue. That’s my favorite color.
Rob: Yeah, that’s interesting. There are many vocabulary items to describe different shades of color, aren’t they?
Bob: I know, just talking about red, we’ve got crimson.
Rob: Magenta.
Bob: Rust.
Rob: Scarlet.
Bob: Rose.
Rob: Bermillion.
Bob: Amber.
Rob: Orange.
Bob: Yeah, orange, and ‘cause that’s a shade of red in a way. Peach.
Rob: Peach and then it’s yellow.
Bob: Yeah, yellow color like lemon yellow.
Rob: Mm. Golden rod.
Bob: and then if we talk about green you can have lime.
Rob: Jade.
Bob: Olive.
Rob: Musk green.
Bob: emerald.
Rob: cyan.
Bob: turquoise.
Rob: aqua.
Bob: And I think we’re getting into blue now.
Rob: oh and azur.
Bob: baby blue.
Rob: I think this is pronounced cerulean. Or cerulean perhaps.
Bob: Navy blue.
Rob: yeah, your favorite color...and powder blue.
Bob: and getting into the kind of purple spectrum…we got indigo.
Rob: denim.
Bob: zaphire.
Rob: violet.
Bob: purple.
Rob: lavender.
Bob: maroon.
Rob: burgundy.
Bob: and in getting into the pinks, uh, salmon pink.
Rob: and then it’s shocking pink.
Bob: hot pink.
Rob: and then we have the brown color…beige.
Bob: tan.
Rob: khaki.
Bob: khaki? We’ll get to that later. Mahogany.
Rob: burned amber.
Bob: burned sienna.
Rob: Wow, and then there’s the gray shade, we’ve got charcoal.
Bob: silver.
Rob: and then it’s black.
Bob: and then white and within white you’ve got lots of actual shades.
Rob: yeah, for example, ivory.
Bob: cream.
Rob: and we could probably list another hundred…

Extra Work: Describing Fabric Patterns.
Script.
Ruth: Now that we’ve picked out a new couch, we need to pick out an upholstery fabric. What do you think of this checkered one?

Gerry: That’s an eyesore. I prefer something a little more subtle.
Ruth: Subtle? What’s fun about subtle? I want something bold and that’ll make a statement. How about this one with the polka dots?
Gerry: You’ve got to be kidding! That pattern is so busy, if I had to look at that every day, I’d go crazy.
Ruth: All right, what do you think of this one with the stripes?
Gerry: I’m not crazy about it, but it’s not as tacky as the others ones.
Ruth: Okay then, you pick one out.
Gerry: Fine. Let me see…Now this is a sight for sore eyes!
Ruth: But that has no pattern at all! It’s a solid blue color, and a boring shade of blue to boot.
Gerry: That’s right. That’s what I call a classic.
Ruth: And that’s what I call dull!

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario