4/24/2010

Scripts Lesson 17

Answering Machine Page 4.

Script.
I got two tickets to a show at the last minute and I tried to find someone to go with me. First, I called Amanda. The phone rang and rang and then her answering machine picked up. “Hi, I’m not in right now. Leave me a message and I’ll get back to you as soon as I can.” Amanda wasn’t home or she was screening her calls. I didn’t want to leave a message and decided to try Celia. The phone rang about six times and then I heard, “This is the voicemail for Celia. Leave me a message after the long beep. Or, you can try my cell phone at 213-555-1212. Have a nice day.” By this time, I was starting to feel discouraged. I didn’t want to go to the show by myself, so I tried one last time. I called Leslie at work. “Hello, you’ve reached the office of Leslie Munroe. I am in a meeting or with a client. I’m sorry to miss your call. Please stay on the line and leave a detailed message. I will return your call as soon as I can. Thank you for calling.” I decided to leave a message. Leslie called me right back and we made plans for the show. We had a great time.

Getting Familiar with "Should" Page 6.
Script.
Segment from 0:29 to 0:59 shows only oral practice and only the modal auxiliary.

Segment from 0:59 to 1:18 shows some examples:
• You should stop smoking
• I think you should talk to your wife about this problem.
• She shouldn’t drive so fast

Segment from 1:58 to 2:20 shows some more examples:
• I think you should visit your mother this weekend.
• She thinks I should get a new job

Segment from 2:34 to 2:47 shows other examples:
• Should I bring a bottle of water?
• Should he do it now or wait until tomorrow?

Segment from 2:57 to 3:23 is an exercise to complete ideas from the verbs suggested

Segment from 3:29 to 4:23 has a few other examples:

• Hey, you should stop drinking
• I think you should talk to your boss about this problem
• She shouldn’t ride her bicycle so fast
• I think you should visit ypur parents this weekend
• She thinks I should get a new car.
• Should I bring some food to the party?
• Should he do it now or wait until tomorrow?

Pick up at the Airport.
Script.
Jack: Hello? Denise Richardson? I’m Jack Johnson. From Faxen’s Business Solutions.


Denise: Hi, nice to meet you. Call me Denise.

Jack: Nice to meet you too. Our car is waiting at exit 10. Please follow me.

Denise: OK

Jack: Let me help you with your luggage.

Denise: Thank you. That’s a nice suit.

Jack: Thanks. I bought it just a couple of weeks ago. I was just about to comment on what a great watch you have.

Denise: This old thing? Thanks. I’ve had this watch for a long time.

Jack: By the way, it’s quite cold outside. You might want to put on a jacket.

Denise: Oh, is the parking far away?

Jack: No, not at all. It’s just opposite the exit.

Denise: Very good. No worries about the jacket then.

Jack: So, was your flight OK?

Denise: Yes, I slept all the way.

Jack: Now, we are heading to the Marriot Hotel, where you can get settled and have a rest. We’ll pick you up for the greeting dinner at 6 pm.

Denise: Sounds great. Could you tell me more about the schedule during my stay?

Jack: Here. Let me show it to you. Tomorrow morning you can sleep in and get over any jet lag you have. We don’t have anything scheduled until this meeting. You see here at 2pm? We’ll present our company’s new product.

Denise: Do I have lunch planned?

Jack: Our CEO Martin Westgate would love to take you out for lunch, if you feel like it.

Denise: That would be very nice.

Jack: OK! I will arrange that as soon as I get back to the office later. And that’s it for tomorrow. An easy day. But the day after tomorrow will be a really big day. We will pick you up at 7pm to go to our factory. It’s in the country side. It will take us two hours to get there. The factory supervisor will show us around and our meetings will begin at 11am. After the meetings we have to catch a meeting with the government Patton’s office. It’s at 4 pm. I hope this is OK with you.

Denise: Don’t worry. Believe me. My schedule’s like this every day.

Jack: Ha-ha-ha! Oh, we also want to invite you to the cocktail party arranged by our company, for our partners and friends at 8pm Wednesday night.

Denise: I would love to come. I don’t have much to do the day after, do I?

Jack: No. Only a final working lunch to discuss future arrangements between our companies.

Denise: When is my flight back?

Jack: 5:30. Thursday afternoon.
Denise: Lovely. Thank you.

Jack: Oh, and also tomorrow night, if you need, we can arrange a tour guide. And a car to take you around the city and show you the sights.

Denise: Excellent. That’s very considerate of you. Please arrange it for me. Thank you.


Extra work: "Allergy season reaches peak" Page 9 (in your CD)
Script.
Anchor: Well, allergy season is at its peak right now and usually it’s much earlier in April that pollen from trees becomes a bother for allergy sufferers but this year the cold weather and rain delayed things a bit and this weekend’s warm weather cause the pollen count climb. Chris Gordon is outside in the elements with the report on the symptoms and what we can do to get some relief, you need a helmet out there today Chris

Chris: The simple answer is don’t go outside, and when you’re inside don’t open your windows, but that’s not practical for most of us and when we do go outside this is what we find: our cars covered with a green or yellow slime. Pollen grains are microscopic, but when they build up like this we can actually see the source of our suffering.
Chris: Washington has been called the city of trees. They give up pollen which brings on April’s agony allergy season. Red in the eyes, itch your throat, sneezing all the time, I think that’s it. Every year is the same.
Doctor: Have you been outdoors or not that much outdoors?
Patient: Yes, I have.
Chris: Doctor Talal Nsouli is the director of the Watergate and burk allergy and asthma centers. He treated Bill Clinton throughout his entire presidency and he’s currently a consultant to president Bush’s white house medical office. He tailors treatments to each patient.
Doctor: We use a variety of medications: eyedrops, nasal sprays, antihistamines , antileukotriene medications and collectively these medications together will provide improvement in these patients
Reporter: Some medications that used to be available by prescription only are now sold over the counter.
Emmie: I take Allegra, Adver at night.
Reporter: Are you getting relief?
Emmie: A little bit, not much, not much in these past three days.
Reporter: Dr. Nsouli says over the counter drugs may not work for everyone.
Doctor: Get exactly the same strength, exactly the same milligrams and the same tablets and the same efficacy, totally the same, but this shows having a medication alone without consulting an expert allergologist this will not be as effective.

Danny Boyle's 127 Hours Official Trailer.
Script.
Aron: Good morning everyone. It’s 7 o’clock here in Canyon Range USA.

Aron’s mom: Hey Aron, Mom. Still has not heard from you. Would you please call her? Please? I’ll talk to you soon.
Aron: This morning on the boulder we have a very special guest Aron Rolston.
Aron: Oh my gosh, it’s a real pleasure to be here. Thank you.
Aron: Ha ha ha, Oh, thank you.
Aron: Hey!
Aron: You’re lost, I’m a guide, what do you say?
Aron: I’m something of a big heart hero.
Aron: All you have to remember, that everything will be OK.

Migraine and its Symptoms (In your CD).

Script.
Skip Masland
Casselberry, Florida.
A migraine for some people has become almost a generic term for headache. You know, it’s kind of funny to me you hear people in the office go “boy, I got a migraine today”. And, you know, I think to myself “they have no idea what a migraine is”. My grandfather had migraines and my mother inherited them, my aunt inherited them,   the kind that goes thru the family basically. I’ve tried everything from biofeedback, all the different drugs from beta blockers to calcium channel blockers. It’s been only recently  when I went to a neurologist that I started to get some relief. It really got to the point where I just learned how to get through the day at work with a migraine. I would close my door, along with turning the lights out, you know, I would take an hour to lay on the floor in my office just to try to you know, cope.
It seemed that weather was one of the biggest triggers. At one point I started looking at the weather in advance when I would see some coldfront beginning to move into the area and I would say “oh, I’m going to get a migraine”. And it became an almost self fulfilling prophecy so I stopped looking at the weather. And, you know, nonetheless it turned out when I would get a migraine I would go back and see what  the weather was that if it actually had something to do with the weather patterns so I really think that is one of the triggers. I would really love them to go away some day, but I’m not gonna , you know, who knows?

Vicky Martin
Mason, Ohio.
It would be terrible head pain, usually on one side of my head, and I would feel dizzy, sometimes nauseous and always felt like my head was filled with cement like it was too heavy to even lift up, so I'd always feel like I have to lay down. And I’ve always been very sensitive to light so I'd always want to be you know, make the room as stark as I could or put something over my eyes. And that would usually come when I started my period or when it was midmonth and I would call it having a migraine run so that would last for literally 3 or 4 days.
It's really very difficult to function when you're in that much pain or you’re that dizzy, or you’re that nauseous, if you talk to my… my children are older now, 15, 19 and 22, but if you talk to any of them they would talk about how mom had to lay down. I joked that I am forever grateful to Disney and 101 Dalmatians when my kids were little, you know because I would lay down on the couch while they watch, you know, the puppies running around.
And all truthfulness, I just kind of felt sort of like I was gotten all alone because I really didn’t know anybody else that , you know, I’ve talked to other, in my little circle anyway, people who had indication headache and I didn’t personally know anybody else that was down for the count  quite as much as I was. You know, I really thought, this is ridiculous, it’s almost as if I’m disabled and, you know,  now I don’t feel that way anymore.


No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario